In May 2016, the Houston area experienced two storms that flooded the city with 15 to 20 inches of rain each time, which put homes in danger of flood damage. Since this was the sixth major flood in Southeast Texas since May 2015, homeowners should consider the importance of protecting their washers, dryers, and other major appliances from water damage. Houston Appliance can recommend steps to take before a flood and help ensure your appliances are safe afterward.
Prepare Your Appliances Before An Emergency
The best way to protect your washer and dryer is by installing them on a platform that can keep them above most water damage. Many manufacturers sell platforms for their brand of appliances that raise the equipment about 15 inches above the ground. The platform provides a storage drawer, while the height can protect your washer and dryer from damage from most storms. As commercially available platforms cost $300 or more each, you may even consider building one yourself.
Another way to protect your appliances is to have them located on the second floor. While installing plumbing and securing the floor can be costly, you can feel secure that your appliances will be protected. With your bedrooms upstairs, having the laundry on the same level adds convenience that many homeowners enjoy in any weather. While making this change, you might also think about having your electrical box moved to higher ground.
Call Houston Appliance Repair After Water Damage
If your home has been flooded, you may wonder whether it is safe to use your appliances after the water recedes. Your appliances may seem safe to use, but you should have them checked out by a reputable appliance service company such as Houston Appliance Repair.
You should take the following steps for your safety:
- Disconnect the breaker that controls the appliance. Be careful about unplugging it unless you are sure the power is off, as there may be a shock hazard.
- If your power is off, unplug the appliances. Even if the power returns, do not plug in the appliance or turn it on until you have had a competent service person check it out.
- Have Houston Appliance Repair check out all the mechanical parts of the appliance and lubricate all door hinges, bearings, and other moving parts to prevent rust.
- Be prepared to have the motor reconditioned or replaced, along with the wiring.
- Be aware that if the appliance has experienced water damage, its life expectancy may be reduced.
- After servicing, sanitize your washer by running disinfectant through a 15-minute cycle followed by hot water rinse and wipe down the dryer with a cloth dipped in disinfectant. Leave the dryer door open overnight to prevent rust formation.
Whether you have been a victim of a storm, your washer overflows, or your hoses come out of the drain; you should still follow these same procedures to ensure you are safe.
Your Houston Connection For Appliance Repair
If your home has been flooded, other appliances, such as your refrigerator, freezer, stove, and dishwasher, are also subject to water damage. Follow the procedures above and contact Houston Appliance Repair.
Houston Appliance Repair has served the community for the last 25 years with high-quality repair on all makes and models of household appliances. When you need service, call us at (713) 574-9799